Good evening, Malden. It’s us, your friendly neighborhood Admins! Thank you for your tremendous enthusiasm and support. Our membership is growing and so are the list of volunteers and service requests. As of now we have 18 neighbors seeking help. Our organizers and volunteers are hard at work prioritizing and addressing them.
Here are your action items for today:
Announcement: Schools closed until May 4
Please review Governor Baker’s announcement.
ACTION ITEM 1: Watch the Mayor’s COVID-19 Update
Yesterday, Mayor Christenson addressed the Malden community with some important updates. Watch the recording here. Below are some key points:
- Malden has 9 confirmed and 57 presumed COVID-19 cases as of 3/23/20
- All of Malden’s city parks and public gardens are now closed. Bike paths are still open.
- The city will be providing a series of robo-calls with COVID-19 updates
- Gov. Baker has filed legislation to extend deadlines for tax bills and property tax exemptions to June 1
- Gov. Baker has prohibited the shutoff of gas / electric / water to MA residents / businesses
- The city is directing those who require assistance and those who want to volunteer to our website and sign-up form
ACTION ITEM 2: Reminder: Sewing Masks
Have a sewing machine? Mask shortages are so severe that hospitals and nursing facilities are now looking for volunteers to produce cloth masks. Please use this CHA-approved mask sewing pattern: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/?fbclid=IwAR3VJFwR1vbRxsdByva1ueZyrLwAZDRQ5k27h48BjQNwYKEmkr2JDNrK3Sg
How to donate to Melrose-Wakefield: https://www.facebook.com/groups/maldenneighborshelping/permalink/230431568346435/
How to donate to CHA: https://www.facebook.com/groups/maldenneighborshelping/permalink/230341165022142/
If you want company, there is a virtual sew-along tomorrow for folks working on masks! https://www.universalhub.com/2020/theres-virtual-sew-along-tomorrow-make-face-masks
ACTION ITEM 3: Continue to spread the word!
We continue to be inspired by the number of folks willing to volunteer! Please continue to share the website (MaldenNeighbors.org), the Facebook Page, and encourage anyone you know in a vulnerable population to get in touch for help (even if it may be a future need).